South Dakota blizzard
The National Weather Service issued blizzard and winter storm warnings for western South Dakota through Thursday, March 14. We want to remind you about important electric safety information.
If you're experiencing a power outage, click the button below to report and monitor your outage.
Electric safety during storms
In the event of an extended electric outage, we work with local news agencies to keep you informed about service restoration. If an electrical service interruption occurs, we will make every effort to restore your power as quickly as possible.
In the event of a power outage, follow these guidelines to stay safe:
- Never touch or attempt to pick up a fallen power line, and keep children and pets away. Assume any downed power line is energized. If you see a downed power line, call our emergency number 800-694-8989 or 911 immediately.
- Prepare for an outage by setting up an emergency drawer or kit that’s easy to access, even in the dark. Stock it with fresh batteries, a battery-powered radio and a flashlight. Avoid using candles, lanterns or oil lamps because of the fire risk.
- Unplug sensitive computer and electronic equipment or protect them with a high-quality surge protector.
- Do not open your refrigerator or freezer more than necessary. Undisturbed food will remain frozen in most freezers for 12 to 48 hours.
- Do not use charcoal grills to heat your home or cook indoors. Dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
- If you use a portable generator, follow the manufacturer's safety and operating guidelines. Be sure to operate the generator in a well-ventilated area. Never operate it indoors or in your garage. Again, dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
As the homeowner, you’re responsible for maintaining your home’s service mast. Learn more about maintaining and repairing your service mast.