The National Weather Service issued blizzard and winter storm warnings for parts of Wyoming on Wednesday, March 13. Since then, our gas crews have received numerous carbon monoxide reports. We want to remind you about important natural gas and electric safety information.
If you're experiencing a power outage, click the button below to report and monitor your outage.
Natural gas safety during storms
If you're experiencing flooding, or have high water in your home or basement, click here for important safety information about your natural gas system.
Snow and ice buildup on your natural gas meter can create a safety hazard and even cut off the flow of natural gas to your heating equipment and appliances. To avoid trouble, gently remove snow and ice from on and around the meter with your hands or a broom.
Gas meters and regulators are durable and designed with the weather in mind, but a coating of ice or snow could cause a loss of service and become a critical safety issue. If at all possible, remove the snow before it has a chance to freeze.
Watch the video below for more information about how to keep your meter clear and safe.
Vent safety during storms
Our gas crews are experiencing numerous carbon monoxide reports. Many of these issues are being caused by drifting snow, causing furnace and water heater vents to become blocked.
Here are some important safety tips for you to know:
- Make sure that your furnace vent, gas fireplace vent and tankless/conventional water heater vents are free from drifting snow
- Gently brush the snow away using a soft broom or your hand, being careful to avoid vent damage
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors and inspect them regularly
- Make sure batteries are fresh
- Experts recommend placing one detector on every level of your home
- Install detectors at of slightly above eye level, as carbon monoxide is lighter than air and will float upward
Electric safety during storms
In the event of an extended electric outage, we work with local news agencies to keep you informed about service restoration. If an electrical service interruption occurs, we will make every effort to restore your power as quickly as possible.
In the event of an outage, follow these guidelines to stay safe:
- Never touch or attempt to pick up a fallen power line, and keep children and pets away. Assume any downed power line is energized. If you see a downed power line, call our emergency number 800-694-8989 or 911 immediately.
- Prepare for an outage by setting up an emergency drawer or kit that’s easy to access, even in the dark. Stock it with fresh batteries, a battery-powered radio and a flashlight. Avoid using candles, lanterns or oil lamps because of the fire risk.
- Unplug sensitive computer and electronic equipment or protect them with a high-quality surge protector.
- Do not open your refrigerator or freezer more than necessary. Undisturbed food will remain frozen in most freezers for 12 to 48 hours.
- Do not use charcoal grills to heat your home or cook indoors. Dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
- If you use a portable generator, follow the manufacturer's safety and operating guidelines. Be sure to operate the generator in a well-ventilated area. Never operate it indoors or in your garage. Again, dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.