- Approximate kWh per month: 10 kWh
- Only do dishes once a day. It may be more efficient to do one dishwasher load a day than to wash your dishes by hand three times a day.
- Lowering your water heater temperature a few degrees can save on energy usage. With a dishwasher, you need a setting of about 140 degrees.
- Don't crowd your dishes. Don't block the spray arms when you load.
- Clean food off dishes first. Before loading, scrape off dishes and rinse them quickly in cold water.
- Don’t run your dishwasher when there are only a few items in it.
- Don't use the rinse-hold cycle. It uses three to seven gallons of hot water.
- Air dry your dishes. You can save 10 percent of the cost of operation with this tip. If your model doesn't have an automatic air dry switch, turn off the heated dry option.