Ovens and stoves
Reduce your energy use with every meal
- Approximate kWh per month: 120 kWh
- Check foods through the oven window. You may lose 25 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit each time you open the door.
- Turn off the oven a few minutes before cooking time ends. For many dishes, especially those that require a long cooking time, you can turn off the oven a few minutes before finishing. The oven will remain hot enough to complete the job.
- The self-cleaning feature is expensive. Learn to wipe up promptly after baking or roasting to avoid using the self-cleaning feature. A "continuous cleaning" oven doesn't use extra energy.
- Put a shine on your reflector pans. Dirty, dull pans absorb heat instead of reflecting it.
- Match the pan to the surface burner. A pan that fits the burner cooks better.
- Thaw food before cooking it. It’s wasteful to thaw food by cooking it, and it won’t cook as well.
- Use smaller cooking appliances when possible.
- During warmer months, the heat from the oven can increase the demand on your AC. Try to limit use to cooler hours of the day.