Washers and dryers
- Approximate kWh per month: 91kWh
- Don't use an entire wash cycle for only a couple of garments. On the other hand, jamming too much into a wash load causes extra wrinkles and lint.
- Always clean the lint trap after each use, or before you start a new load. Also, double-check the pockets of your garments.
- Maintain dryer vents and clean underneath and behind the dryer regularly.
- Plan your drying cycle. First dry larger, bulkier clothes, and then use a shorter cycle for small, light garments.
- Don't go overboard on suds. Too much detergent may hurt your clothes and your washing machine. Use cold or lukewarm water when you can. You'll save with every load when you use cooler water. And cold water helps reduce lint.
- Hand irons aren't cheap. A hand iron uses as much energy as 10 100-watt light bulbs. Keep that in mind when you consider buying permanent press garments.
- Address maintenance issues promptly. If dryers are taking longer than usual, it can contribute significantly to your electric usage.