An estimated 170 million refrigerators and freezers are currently in use in the United States. More than 60 million refrigerators are over 10 years old, costing consumers $4.4 billion a year in energy costs.
You can save $150 to $1,100 on energy costs over a refrigerator’s lifetime by properly recycling your old refrigerator and replacing it with a new Energy Star-certified model.
When you recycle your old, inefficient electric refrigerator or freezer through Black Hills Energy, we'll pick it up for free, and we’ll even give you 50 bucks for it. By recycling through us, you'll help conserve resources and prevent contaminants from getting into the landfill.
- Refrigerator or freezer must be second appliance
- Refrigerator or freezer must be between 10 and 30 cubic feet in size
- Refrigerator or freezer must be in operating condition
- Refrigerator or freezer must be accessible for pickup
- Limit to two per customer
- A $50 payment will be offered per qualifying unit
LET’S GET STARTED
Call our Energy Efficiency team at 605-399-5082 to request a refrigerator or freezer pickup. We’ll schedule a convenient time to pick up that old inefficient fridge or freezer. We’ll take care of the rest, including disposing of it in an environmentally safe and responsible manner.