Rapid City, S.D., June 30, 2017 – Much of the upper Midwest has been experiencing above-average temperatures this month. As temperatures rise, it’s important to stay cool while using energy efficiently. Here are a few tips from Black Hills Energy that will help you remain comfortable without driving bills even higher by using more energy than is necessary.
- Set your thermostat as close to 78 degrees as you can tolerate, remaining aware of any health concerns. Use fans to circulate cool air.
- Position lamps, computers and televisions away from your thermostat.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Program your air conditioner to run less when you are away or sleeping.
- Use a microwave instead of a conventional oven or range top. A microwave creates less ambient heat, for a cooler kitchen.
- Avoid running heat-producing appliances (ovens, clothes dryers, dishwashers) during the hottest times of the day.
- Keep sunny windows covered with blinds or draperies.
- Install light-colored window shades to reflect heat away from your house.
- Replace your air conditioner filters at least once a month. Make sure your air conditioner is fully charged with coolant and properly serviced. Make sure the area around the outdoor condenser is free of weeds and other blockage. Black Hills Energy offers air conditioning service checks and repairs that potentially make your system work more efficiently, run cooler and last longer. Go to www.blackhillsenergy.com for more information or to schedule an appointment.
- Take baths or showers with cool water for heat relief.
From rebates for old refrigerators to free online home-efficiency audits, Black Hills Energy is committed to reducing customer’s energy use and saving them money on their monthly energy bill. The company’s new Energy Efficiency Solutions program is here to help you better manage the cooling and heating of your home.
Another option for keeping your bills low in peak temperatures is to sign up for Black Hills Energy’s budget billing payment option. This allows you to spread peak summer energy costs over the year. Call 800-742-8948 or go to www.blackhillsenergy.com and click payment options to learn more about budget billing and other services, including how to begin receiving and paying your bill online at no extra charge.