PUEBLO, Colo, March. 13, 2019 – Black Hills Energy declared a major event today due to high winds across our territory. Black Hills Energy is prepared and responding to outages caused by high winds impacting service territories. If an electrical service interruption occurs, Black Hills Energy will make every effort to restore power as quickly as possible. Customers should call 800-694-8989 to report an outage.
Early this week, Black Hills Energy put into motion their Major Event and Incident Response plan. This includes setting up an incident command, requesting multi-state mutual aid for electric crews with existing contractors (if needed), and having available ready response teams to address: logistics, intelligence, operations, communications and future planning which includes adequate generation resources and real-time contingency analysis.
Since early this morning reliability issues in the Denver and Colorado Springs areas have caused several flickers on our system due to the nature of the interconnected electrical system across the larger energy grid.
Other utilities have requested mutual aid assistance from Black Hills Energy crews to help with their reliability issues, however, our crews will stay focused on the Southern Colorado system to ensure ample support is available to address outages that could grow as the wind significantly picks up.
You can prepare for an outage by putting together an emergency kit that’s easy to access, even in the dark. Stock the kit with fresh batteries, a battery-powered radio and a flashlight. Avoid using candles, lanterns or oil lamps to avoid the risk of fire.
In the event of a power outage, follow these guidelines to stay safe:
- Never touch or attempt to pick up a fallen power line, and keep children and pets away. Assume any downed power line is energized. If you see a downed power line, call our emergency number 800-694-8989 or 911 immediately.
- Prepare for an outage by setting up an emergency drawer or kit that’s easy to access, even in the dark. Stock it with fresh batteries, a battery-powered radio and a flashlight. Avoid using candles, lanterns or oil lamps because of the fire risk.
- Unplug sensitive computer and electronic equipment or protect them with a high-quality surge protector.
- Do not open your refrigerator or freezer more than necessary. Undisturbed food will remain frozen in most freezers for 12 to 48 hours.
- Do not use charcoal grills to heat your home or cook indoors. Dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
- If you use a portable generator, follow the manufacturer's safety and operating guidelines. Be sure to operate the generator in a well-ventilated area. Never operate it indoors or in your garage. Again, dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.