PUEBLO, Colo, March. 14, 2019 – The recent wind storms have created many unsafe conditions, with trees falling into power lines, electric wires knocked to the ground and damage to customer-owned electrical systems, including electrical enclosures on the side of buildings.
Black Hills Energy urges customers to consider downed lines as energized and stay away, keeping others away as well. Never touch or attempt to pick up a fallen power line, and keep children and pets away. Assume any downed power line is energized. If you see a downed power line, call our emergency number 800-694-8989 or 911 immediately.
The company currently is repairing its electrical infrastructure and assisting customers who need to make repairs to customer-owned electrical systems by turning off the main power supply and re-energizing the line when repairs are completed.
Safety is always Black Hills Energy’s first priority, and working closely with homeowners who follow warnings and recommended steps is the best way to avoid what could be far-reaching damage or harm to life.
Here are a few tips you should remember when making the needed repairs to your electric service before power can be restored. Power to your home may have been cut if we found the situation to be unsafe.
Examples of unsafe conditions include but are not limited to:
- Exposed equipment that is energized.
- Damage to an electrical enclosure, meter or other electric facilities normally attached to the building.
- Tree damage to electric infrastructure.
- Broken utility poles or lines on the ground.
Customers who require repairs to their electrical service due to the storms have a few options:
- Utilize a licensed electrician to make the repairs. If a licensed electrician makes all repairs, Black Hills Energy will reconnect the service without an inspection upon verification of the electrician’s permit by the Pueblo Regional Building Authority.
- If you are renting or leasing the property the work must be completed by a licensed electrical contractor with an electrical permit.
- Complete the repairs using someone other than a licensed electrician. In this case, Black Hills Energy would require a permit and a completed inspection by the Pueblo Regional Building Authority before we could reconnect the service.
In the case of any of the above situations, a permit must be secured from Pueblo Regional Building Authority by calling 719-543-0002 and you must have this permit number when you call us to reconnect your service. This is a common practice and electricians in the area are aware of this protocol. The permits are a verification to the utility that it is safe to reconnect service.
Black Hills Energy appreciates your patience during the outages and now with the cleanup process. The company wants the repair process to go as safely and smoothly as possible for you and your family. Please call our customer service line if you need assistance regarding the repair and reconnect process. That number is 888-890-5554.