Our gas stinks. For good reason.
Natural gas has an excellent safety record, but if you smell gas, act fast.
Natural gas is odorized to help keep you safe. Many describe it as smelling like rotten eggs. If your nose picks up this scent, immediately evacuate everyone from the building or area. Leave the door open as you leave and warn others to stay away.
Once you’re away from the building, call 911 and the Black Hills Energy Emergency Number at 800-694-8989. Don’t attempt to fix or adjust any gas line or related equipment—our trained technicians will take care of that.
Wait for us to arrive and don’t re-enter the building. Emergency personnel will let you know when it’s safe to return.
Stay safe if you smell gas
Don’t do anything that could cause a spark:
- Never use a cell phone anywhere near the suspected leak.
- Never touch a light switch or other electronic device.
- Never open or close windows.
- Never start an engine or drive a vehicle.
- Never strike a match or lighter.
Learn more about keeping your natural gas service and appliances safe: