For more information about the requirements, download the printable application below.
Residential Energy Audit program
If you are a South Dakota residential Black Hills Energy electric and Montana-Dakota Utilities residential natural gas customer, you have an opportunity to have an energy audit performed on your home for a cost of only $50 (typically a home energy audit can cost $300-$500).
If you’re noticing moisture problems, drafts, or other issues with your home, an energy audit may help you determine possible solutions. If approved, a third party contractor will perform the home audit and the costs will be shared between Black Hills Energy and Montana-Dakota Utilities. Once the audit is completed, Montana-Dakota Utilities will bill you $50 for the assessment. To apply for the Residential Energy Audit Program, simply fill out the Residential Energy Audit Application Form (pdf) and send it to Montana-Dakota Utilities at the address on the form.
Electric refrigerator-freezer pickup program
An estimated 170 million refrigerators and freezers are currently in use in the United States. More than 60 million refrigerators are over 10 years old, costing consumers $4.4 billion a year in energy costs.
You can save $150 to $1,100 on energy costs over a refrigerator’s lifetime by properly recycling your old refrigerator and replacing it with a new Energy Star-certified model.
When you recycle your old, inefficient electric refrigerator or freezer through Black Hills Energy, we'll pick it up for free, and we’ll even give you 50 bucks for it. By recycling through us, you'll help conserve resources and prevent contaminants from getting into the landfill.
- Refrigerator or freezer must be second appliance
- Refrigerator or freezer must be between 10 and 30 cubic feet in size
- Refrigerator or freezer must be in operating condition
- Refrigerator or freezer must be accessible for pickup
- Limit to two per customer
- A $50 payment will be offered per qualifying unit
Find more ways to save energy at home
- Visit our Home Energy Suite to complete an easy-to-understand home energy audit
- Learn more about how much energy your electronics and appliances use with our appliance calculator