Improving life for those in need
Black Hills Cares helps eligible residential customers in need pay their Black Hills Energy bills or emergency energy-related expenses. We match those contributions dollar for dollar.
In the past 11 years, Black Hills Cares provided more than $5.5 million in customer, employee and company donations to assist those in need. In 2018 alone, 2,300 families received assistance from Black Hills Cares funds.
How to request Black Hills Cares funds
Our partners who distribute Black Hills Cares funds include:
- HeatShare, administered by the Salvation Army
- Black Hills Cares funds go directly to local assistance agencies in your area and are administered by the Salvation Army of Rapid City and the Northern Hills, Church Response, and the Ministerial Association in Sturgis, Hot Springs, Newell/Vale/Nisland, Belle Fourche and Newcastle, WY.
- Energy Share of Wyoming program serving Wyoming residents with energy-related emergencies. This program is administered by the Salvation Army
How you can help
To give, check the box on your payment stub to indicate the donation of your choice.
- If you select the Round Up option, we’ll automatically round up your monthly bill to the next dollar and donate the difference.
- The recurring monthly donation is another great way you can help. Select a donation amount on your payment stub or write in an amount that fits your budget in the “Other” field.
- You can also make a one-time donation with your monthly bill payment. Just write in your donation amount in the “One-time” field on your payment stub.
- If you donate through Round Up or a recurring monthly amount, we’ll add that amount to your utility bill until you let us know to discontinue your enrollment. If at any time you want to stop your donation, call us at 888-890-5554.