What to do if you smell natural gas
Our gas stinks for good reason. Natural gas is odorized to help keep you safe. Many describe it as smelling like rotten eggs. If your nose picks up this scent, take the following steps.
- Immediately leave the home or building where the smell is detected. Alert others to also vacate the premises.
- Do not open or close windows before you leave.
- Do not turn light switches on or off.
- DO NOT smoke or use electronics including mobile phones, garage door openers or alarm systems.
- Never start an engine or drive a vehicle where the odor is present.
- Find a safe distance away — approximately 300 feet or more — until you can no longer smell the gas odor.
- Once you reach a safe distance, call 911 and Black Hills Energy at 800-890-5554.
- DO NOT attempt to fix or adjust gas lines or related equipment.
- If you don’t own the property or residence, notify the property owner or manager.
- Stay away from the area until you are informed by Black Hills Energy employees or emergency responders that it is safe to return.