Healthy, vibrant communities are our lifeblood. So, we invest our time and resources so they can grow and aim even higher.
You can apply for a charitable contribution or sponsorship at any time of the year, but please allow 60-120 days to receive a funding decision. Our review committees meet either monthly or quarterly. We generally support requests that align with our key giving priorities: Responsible energy and environmental stewardship; Education and workforce development; Strong communities; Helping people.
Please note that we will be transitioning to a new grant management online tool called GrantsConnect by Your Cause/BlackBaud to enhance our application process.
Please note that through 2020 we will prioritize requests for charitable funding to align with COVID-19 needs in our communities.
Before completing the form we recommend reviewing and gathering the required documents listed below.
We recommend typing out answers in a Word document or another source, and copying and pasting them in.
- Organization's name, address, phone number and website
- Submitter's name, address, phone number and email
- Copy of W-9 Allowed types: (jpg jpeg pdf docx)
- Copy of 501-C3 status Tax exempt Letter (if applicable) (Allowed types: jpg jpeg pdf docx)
- Explain the purpose of requested funds, project timeline, including any impact COVID-19 has had on your request and describe all levels of sponsorship of funding available. (typed in or upload doc)
- Does your organization receive any United Way funding? If yes, percentage of your annual operating budget that funding represents
- Received Black Hills Energy funding within the past five years? If Yes, Amount(s) and for what purpose.
- Provide a brief description of your organization, its history and purpose. (typed in or upload doc)
- Describe the impact your organization or event has on the community and the number of people served by your organization. (typed in or upload doc)
- Provide a list of your organization's officers and/or board of directors. (typed in or upload doc)
- Financial statements (income statement and balance sheet) for your organization's previous fiscal year (preferably compiled, reviewed or audited). (Allowed types: jpg jpeg pdf docx)
- Will there be an opportunity for advertising, recognition or naming rights associated with this request? (typed in explanation)
- Upload a complete budget for the capital project, event or requested use of the funding. (Allowed types: jpg jpeg pdf docx)
- Provide a list of major contributors related to your request to date, including pending requests. (typed in or upload doc)
- Please list any employees from Black Hills Energy serving as volunteers for your organization, in what capacity they serve, and approximate length of their service in years (typed in or upload doc)