DENVER, Colorado — Oct. 8, 2019 — On Tuesday, Oct. 8, Black Hills Energy responded to a report of a natural gas leak in Snowmass, Colorado.
Technicians responded promptly to assess the system and ensure the safety of the area. Out of a preponderance of caution, first responders evacuated the nearby area. Black Hills Energy thanks the first responders for their partnership in keeping the area safe while the natural gas system was secured to allow repairs to be made. Our team will continue to investigate the cause of the leak, but can assure customers that the area has been made safe.
Black Hills Energy recommends the following safety tips for customers:
- Natural gas smells like rotten eggs for a reason. If your nose picks up this scent, immediately leave the area, and call 911 once you’re away from the site.
- Wait for Black Hills Energy or emergency personnel to arrive before re-entering the building. Emergency personnel will let you know when it’s safe to return.
- Never use a mobile phone, touch a light switch or start an engine while near a suspected gas leak.
- Ensure your home is equipped with carbon monoxide detectors, and never use gas ranges, ovens or clothes dryers to heat your home.
Check out our Safety web page for more ways to stay safe.