Skip to main content
During the storm
Rain running off metal roof

Temporary electrical outages can be caused by lightning, snowstorms, high winds or equipment failure. If an electrical service interruption occurs, we’ll make every effort to restore your power as quickly as possible. We know these situations are an inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience as we work to restore service.
 

If your power is out, report your outage online. Call 911 if you’re in danger or have a medical emergency. Call our emergency number at 888-890-5554 if you see damaged utility equipment.

Stay up to date on potential outages. We issue ongoing service restoration updates to the media, on our outage mapFacebook and Twitter pages.

If an unexpected outage occurs, follow these tips to stay safe:

  • Assume any downed power line is energized. Never touch or attempt to pick up a fallen line. Do not try to rescue someone in contact with a power line.
  • Unplug sensitive computer and electronic equipment or protect them with a high-quality surge protector.
  • Leave a lamp or electric radio on so you know when service is restored.
  • Turn on a porch light when power is restored. This will help speed-up our power restoration process, because we’ll be able to quickly confirm your power is back on without knocking on your door or checking the meter.
  • Do not open your refrigerator or freezer more than necessary. Undisturbed food will remain frozen in most freezers for 12 to 48 hours.
  • Do not use charcoal grills to heat your home or cook indoors. Dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
  • If you use a portable generator, follow the manufacturer's safety and operating guidelines. Be sure to operate the generator in a well-ventilated area. Never operate it indoors or in your garage. Dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death. Follow these additional tips to make sure you’re using your generator safely. 
  • Because carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and tasteless, have a carbon monoxide detector with fresh batteries installed to warn you of potentially dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Learn more about carbon monoxide safety here.

What can I do to stay warm if I lose power?

With the extreme cold temperatures causing widespread power outages, you may also experience a disruption in your natural gas service. Here are ways to stay warm and safe in your home if your gas service is interrupted:

  • Preserve the heat inside - avoid opening doors and close blinds and drapes to keep your house from cooling down.
  • A temporary loss of electricity will prevent your furnace from running. Once service is restored, your furnace should automatically restore operation. You’re encouraged to call an HVAC professional if that is not the case.
  • Dress in layers - wear multiple layers of clothing along with a hat and gloves.
  • In extreme cold, avoid wood fireplaces because they require extra ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide build-up.
  • Never use outdoor barbecue grills, kerosene heaters or camping heaters inside your home because they emit carbon monoxide.
  • If you are having trouble keeping your home warm during a natural gas service outage, do not stay overnight. Consider spending the night with family or friends or at a hotel if that’s an option.
  • To minimize frozen pipes, we recommend leaving a small stream of water running from all indoor faucets (a few drops from both the hot and cold faucets). 
  • Keep garage doors closed and minimize opening of doors to keep cold air out.