Skip to main content

Electric construction request


Select the state below for resources and information in your area. 

To continue improving upon our safe and reliable service, we now have an inspection process for all conduit systems that contain Black Hills Energy wire. Please review this process to ensure your conduit system is inspected prior to backfill.

Builder and developer resources

If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact one of our construction representatives.


South Dakota electric tariff 

Cheyenne, Wyoming

Builder and developer resources

Commercial Construction Handbook 
Standards for Electric Meter Installation and Use 

More information

Download our printable Net Metering packet for more information about Net Metering.

Frequently asked questions

Below are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about utility service to your new home or business. 

What is the first step in setting up new electric service?

The service request is the starting point for all electric utility needs whether it is a new service request, a change service request, temporary service request, etc. This first step creates a service request number for the customer and establishes the routing for a customer's particular request. No activity/work will commence until this request is made. A customer can make the request by using the online Black Hills Energy portal or call the call center and speak to a representative of Black Hills Energy.

Can the phone wires and television wires go in the same trench?

Yes. Phone wire and television wires can be laid directly with the power cable in the trench. Proper spacing between these facilities and electric lines are required and outlined int he National Electric Safety Code. Advanced coordination with the utility companies is required for this to be successful.

What about water, sewer, and gas lines?

Generally, water, sewer, and gas lines are installed in separate trenches.

Does it matter if my buried electric service goes under a driveway or patio?

You should make every effort to place the buried service in areas that will not be paved. Black Hills Energy installs all underground electric services in conduit and therefore can accommodate these scenarios. To avoid additional installation cost you should coordinate with Black Hills Energy if you need to install pavement or concrete prior to the installation of electric service or that we can install the appropriate conduit under your facilities.

Is there a preferred location for the meter?

Yes. Having the meter in an easily accessible location for our advanced metering system is important. This ensures accessibility to the meter if Meter Technicians need to perform maintenance. Normally, the side or rear of the home, in closest proximity to existing electrical facilities, is preferred but in no instances should a meter be located inside a building, structure, or enclosure.

Is temporary construction power optional?

Yes. Temporary construction power is optional but can be provided at customer request. There is a small fee (at time of writing) for this service and customer must provide the temporary meter facilities inspected by local agencies. If electric facilities already exist in close proximity to the customer's building site temporary service can be provided in a short time frame. If existing electrical facilities do not exist near the customer's building site then alternative energy sources may be necessary prior to extension of electric line to customer's property. In this case, temporary construction power would be available only after completion of the line extension.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of the service line?

We maintain overhead and underground services up to the customer connection.

Where is the customer connection?

For overhead services, the connecting point is the customer-owned weatherhead. For underground services, the connecting point is the customer-owned peter can. We provide the meter, which you pay for as a part of your monthly service charge.

Can I request underground electric service?

Yes, overhead or underground extensions are covered by the Line Extension Allowance for a new home.